Jump to Navigation

July 2015 Archives

How are problems in juvenile justice facilities addressed?

Having a child who gets in trouble with the law is a fear of most parents. If your child is in the Virginia juvenile justice system, you might worry about how your child is being treated. Fortunately, there are ways that you can remain involved in your child's process. If you ever have any concerns, there are ways that you can have those addressed.

Defense strategies depend on the circumstances of the case

Last week, we discussed the case of the college student who was facing criminal charges after an encounter with law enforcement officers. If you remember, those charges were dropped by the prosecutor because he noted that the college student made some bad choices but didn't deserve to be prosecuted over those choices. That case shows that just because someone is charged with a crime doesn't automatically mean he or she will be convicted of the crime.

Charges dropped against student bloodied in police encounter

A story recently made the news about a black University of Virginia student who was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and public intoxication after being stopped by the state's Alcohol Beverage Control officers outside of a pub adjacent to the U-Va. campus. Photos from that encounter went viral and sparked outrage. The college student ended up in a jail cell all bloodied up after coming into contact with ABC officers.

When are juveniles sent to the adult criminal court system?

Juveniles with criminal charges sometimes face the possibility of their case being sent over to the adult court. In most cases, this possibility is limited to only very serious charges. For any juvenile who is facing charges and their family members, knowing some points about juvenile waivers might help them to understand the process.

Email Your Concerns

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Contacting Us

Ronald E. Smith, P.C.
3900 University Drive
Suite 320
Fairfax, VA 22030
map and directions

Phone: 703-539-5825
Fax: 703-352-3370